Binary Super B CX

Binary Super B CX
South Dakota Crazy - Binary Super B CX

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

The Unexpected Setback

The Unexpected Setback

Back in late 2021, the world was finally recovering from a tragic pandemic. In the US, things were starting to open up again. Family gatherings were happening once more. We all missed each other! It was time! With family visiting for Christmas, I decided to be responsible and get my third booster shot. So I headed to Walmart for my shot, and the pharmacist told me I was also eligible to get my shingles shot. I thought, "Sure, why not? I hear shingles suck, and I've got enough problems without adding that to the list."

We had an amazing family Christmas that year! And no one got shingles, so double win!

In the months that followed, I was training for my second Iowa Wind and Rock adventure. But I started noticing my training was headed in the wrong direction. Rides were getting harder and slower, and not because I was taking scenic coffee breaks. So I did what anyone would do: I focused on consistency and started working harder. But I continued to struggle with no idea why. About this time, it was time to get my second and last shingles shot, so without thinking anything of it, I did. I thought, "What’s the worst that could happen?" Spoiler alert: I found out.

During this time, a buddy had talked me into joining him and a team for the Gent Race 2022. During the event, everything went downhill fast. I could hardly pedal to keep up with my team, and I struggled like never before to complete the 65 miles of gravel. It was like my legs had turned into Jell-O, and not the fun, wiggly kind. I'll admit, my performance had me down. I had let my team down! They were great, of course, telling me it was fine, but you know that feeling when you don't understand what the F$#% is happening to your body.

A couple of weeks after the event, I was at work and needed to head upstairs for a meeting. So I went to the staircase like I had many times in the past. But I physically could not walk up the stairs. I held the rail and fought my way up. At the top, I was massively winded, my knee joints felt very weak, and of course, I was shocked because I had never felt anywhere close to that, even when I was, let’s say, a bit more "robust." Now I was panicking. What the 'F' is going on with my body?

Turns out, one of the very rare side effects of the shot I received is a condition called Guillain-Barre (gee-YAH-buh-RAY) syndrome, where the body's immune system attacks the nerves. It can cause weakness, numbness, or paralysis. The effects can last months to a year. And here I thought the worst side effect was going to be a sore arm.

Setbacks like this have a way of turning your whole world in a spin. And building back is HARD! It’s like trying to run a marathon after eating a Thanksgiving dinner—possible, but not pretty.

I missed bikepacking. I missed Ultra events. I missed consistency in my training. I missed it all. Even the bugs in my teeth from riding too fast.

Great news is today I can run up stairs again, I can ride consistently, but the time off the bike had its effects on my overall condition and endurance. So now I need to train and build back an older Greg v.2. So over the spring, summer, and fall, I will train and attempt challenging adventures to assess how my training is coming along. I really miss all the adventures!

Iowa Wind and Rock 2024 - Fail (More training was needed). It's okay, I had to try! Hey, at least I didn’t get lost or eaten by a bear, right?

In July, I will be attempting the new Black Hills Expedition - Tower 300 in the ITT format. My training is going well, I'm feeling stronger every day, so it is time to go on an adventure. My only goal is to finish in a reasonable amount of time and avoid any run-ins with wildlife.

My advice to all of you willing to read this is to always discuss shot side effects with your doctor before taking the shot and to keep focused on a day at a time. And if you encounter a setback, roll with it but never give up! Remember, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade—and maybe add a little vodka.

Every great journey starts with a single step—or in my case, a very slow pedal.

With Gratitude,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment