Binary Super B CX

Binary Super B CX
South Dakota Crazy - Binary Super B CX

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Set goals that excite you and scare you at the same time!

Last weekend I set out to attempt 340 miles 29k plus vertical with 30 plus mph winds and 20ish degree nighttime temps (wind chills in the 10's). All this on my
Binary Bicycles
Ti Grolar gravel setup as a single speed 38x17!
Things running through my mind before we started; How am I going to stay warm? Can I actually ride my single speed setup for 30 plus hours with all the climbing? I had images in my mind of walking the last 50 miles completely fried.
But attempting challenges like this are what make ultra-events like Iowa Wind and Rock so special. It is not always about the most physically fit individual. It is about pushing yourself to do things that you that your mind is telling you to stop. You have to have the ability to fight with yourself to keep going.
Trust me I had several battles going on in my mind all day. My wrists to hurt from all the climbing, my right hip flexor was developing tendonitis, the cold triggered my asthma, my bronchioles were congesting from all the cold, and I was starting to cough and having difficulty breathing up the never-ending climbs. I even had to walk several of the longer more steep climbs. My Garmin died due to my usb cable shorting so I had to cue card navigate in the dark for several hours.
I was feeling both excited and anxious my entire ride, but I always fall back to Mike’s Motto: Nothing that worth anything is ever easy!
Big Hairy Audacious Goal achieved! More BHAG in my future for sure, how about yours?

~Greg







Finished!  1st Overall on a Single Speed
Note:  Only finisher to make all time cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment